About What Lies Unborn

A man that drowns himself in alcohol to endure the harsh gift he has been given. A special agent and a nun that won’t leave him alone in his bliss, forcing him to confront reality. But what only he and a murderer knows is that there are more things at stake here than just some lives.

An experimental dark, contemporary serial novel by ShroudPhoenix

Monday 22 September 2008

Chapter III: Unwanted visitors.

Loud sounds again, bright light burning my eyelids. I think I’ve have passed away. How much time has passed? As I feel a sharp instrument of pain invading my body, I scream, and I understand; long enough to have started sobering up. Deafening bangs crash in my head; one, two, three… The noises make me want to bury myself in the ground. Like a hammer crashing my mind, they smash and smash with force upon my undefended self; almost like someone has put me inside a ringing bell… That’s it, it is a bell… it stopped at the sixth beat. Does that mean that it is six o’clock? And is there a cathedral with such a massive bell around here? I don’t know… Oh God, I don’t WANT to know. My mind screams to me. How many hours have passed, how sober am I to actually comprehend what goes around me? Thankfully my trusty companion is still in my hand. I drown myself in the bliss of alcohol, and I rise again. I still need to go home.

The easy way. Follow the wall. The more drunk I am, the more the world rocks in its sea. That’s for the better, the alcohol may cause my body to drop to the ground now and then, but at least it keeps my soul from falling to the abyss. An old woman looks at me, she smiles. I think I’ve seen her somewhere before. I shrug, I don’t care. I don’t want to care. If I’ll care I’ll burst. Door. Good. Safety.

Strange, the door is closed. I’ve left it open. The least I need now is a roommate in this dump. I’ll have to drive him away. First I’ll have to see him of course; first I’ll have to enter. Weird, the door won’t budge. I don’t remember it having a lock. Actually I don’t remember it being a sturdy door at all, this one looks new.

Knock… Knock… Knock…

Why the hell am I knocking in my own house? At least I think it is my own house. I claimed it a year ago…

Raven black hair. Ok. Right. I’m seeing the same things again, that means that I’m in the same place. That’s good. But I’m not supposed to see them, I’m totally drunk. Maybe the booze is wearing off. Raven black hair looks at me funny. Ha! As if she can see me… I’m all alone in my hell…

I sip some more booze, I need her to disappear. Well… it’s not working. I walk over her. Huh? I can’t pass. Her hand stops me. It hurts as she twists it. That can only mean one thing. She is really here. Shit. That’s bad. I have to warn her.

“Look, I don’t know why you’re here, but you really have to go. Like really, really, have to go; like if you stay you’ll probably die. I know you cannot believe me like that, but you have to trust me, leave the couple at the opposite of the building alone, or else they’ll shoot you.” I tell her, yet she stands still, looking confused. What’s wrong?

Another voice behind her. Many voices, I can’t distinguish.

She looks angry for some reason, but I can’t understand what exactly she is talking about. Apart from that being funny that is. I laugh.

“Look, seriously now, if you stay in this room, he’ll find out. You’ll probably die, probably by a headshot.” I have to insist, it’s for the better, I think it is at least.

More voices behind her.

She unhooks a pistol. Someone’s running to get me. Fuck. Not good; if they catch me we will all die. I break free from her, I think that this has caused harm to my shoulder, it’s painful, but at least it’s not death.

I run wild now. Booze might not be the best ally for running, but at least my shoulder doesn’t feel that bad. I’m sure that it will be hurting like hell when I’ll sober up. Note to self, ‘don’t sober up’.
Good thing: I know the back alleys. Bad thing: it seems she knows them too. Crossroads, I’ll go left. If she goes right she will lose me, if she goes left we will all going to die. Funny thing, life that is, something that seems like a trivial choice being the judge of so critical matters.

I pant. I think I’ll throw up, again. If only there was something still inside me to expel. Now the only thing that comes out is blood. Damn liver damage.

An elder woman looks at me. She smiles. At least she wears black; I like that color, goes well with my life. I know her, I think. I faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment